Now, let me review my list of western luxuries that I would miss the most....
- Warm, toasty, fresh out of the dryer jeans. I'll miss a dryer, in general. I actually have used other people's dryers while here in PNG. He he he!!! Cross this one off the list!
- Electronics... even though I'm taking the iPod (and ton of accessories), Kindle, netbook, macbook, etc, I won't be able to have ALL my gadgets. I love my gadgets! I got a new Blackberry... He he he... a gadget!
- Chocolate. Pure, unadulterated chocolate. Harry & David chocolate covered gummy bears, Harry & David chocolate covered blueberries, Choxie sea salt bars (oh, wait, I think those were discontinued!), M&Ms, Hershey kisses, Dove candies with the cute little sayings.... Oh, how I will miss chocolate!! An expat brought Molly and I Cadbury Fair Trade chocolate several months ago AND I got Lindt chili chocolate AND Lindt sea salt chocolate just a couple of weeks ago.... AND I still have Harry & David chocolate from my recent trip back to the States. AND Hershey's chips just this week!
- Being able to shop at Walmart in the middle of the night. Access to anything and everything 24/7. Okay, well occasionally I do miss after hours shopping. Well, more than that, just general access to basic stuff.
- Mail order. Amazon, eBay, L.L. Bean Amazon delivers to PNG! And I've gotten two things off eBay here as well. L.L. Bean? Well, that one has to wait, but I'm good for now....
- Crazy American food. I may be one of the few people that like the Pringles Extreme Flavors! Screamin' Dill Pickle...a nasty-good food! I just finished off the limited edition can of Hoppin' Horseradish! Chili-dogs. I'm pretty sure even if chili-dogs are available, this isn't something I should try over there. I like good food, but sometimes you just need some nasty-good food. BRING IT ON!!!! I got two cans of Screamin' Dill Pickle today..... WOOO HOOO!!!!!
- Schwan's delivery. The old Schwan's driver was trying to convince me to have it shipped via dry ice. Um, good try, but I don't think it will make it...sniff, sniff... Okay, I do miss Schwans. I miss having a variety of food that's quick, good, and easy to make.
- Craigslist. Can you believe they don't do PNG? Australia's on there, but not PNG. No worries, I already sent a request for a page! No Craigslist, but we have listservs of expats selling crap. Works just as well.
- Coffee shops with yummy food and good coffee! A chai-tea latte and black & white scone, anyone? MMMMmmm. Can you say coffee at Alex's work???? And I have actually made scones that weren't horrible. I'm good here, too.
- Movie theaters and Neflix. Yeah, I'm burning a shit-ton of movies, but it's just not the same. Will someone send me An Education when it comes out on DVD??? I missed it in the theaters! Rrrgh! I do miss the movies, but funny I've only watched one of the ones on my external drive. I haven't even watched all my DVD's yet. But, An Education? Thanks, Tim, for buying that for me! I brought it back and even Molly liked watching it.
So, my lesson is that I pretty much have everything I need here and even some luxuries. I'm better off than I thought. What do I really want??? Steady power and water is really it. And to have the grocery stores to keep chick peas and tahini in stock. Em tasol. ;)